The Panhandle Alliance for Education was formed in 2002 during a dismal period for public education in north Idaho. Founded by a group of citizens concerned about our schools, Panhandle Alliance for Education has helped turn the Lake Pend Oreille School District into a model for effective teaching, learning and management. The Alliance is now recognized for programs that deliver a strategic advantage to public education. The results have been measurable, award winning, and speak for themselves. These vital programs leverage passion, creativity, and innovation among our educators.
- Teacher Grants are awarded on an annual basis to teachers who compete for available funds. Awards are based on innovation, collaboration, impact on education, and a cost benefit analysis. Results: Since 2003, 680 grants have been completed totaling an investment in our classrooms of over $2 million. Examples include classroom technology, lab/safety equipment, musical instruments, robotics, math and book clubs, and more.
- Reading Program – The Consortium for Reading Excellence was a universal re-training for all teachers, K-12, on state-of-the-art reading methodology. Results: The Lake Pend Oreille School District’s (LPOSD) goal of 98% proficiency on ISAT testing in 8th grade reading was reached in four years. The investment of $435,000 dramatically improved reading scores from the low 80% range to near perfection.
- Career/College Guidance Counselor and Center takes the mystery out of life after high school and gives every graduating senior the gift of a career plan and an exciting future. Topics cover the college application process, SAT and ACT testing, financial aid, scholarships, and more. Results: In 2016, 78% of graduating seniors were accepted and plan to enter college or technical schools. This initial investment of $168,000 radically increased post-secondary attendance from an estimated 50%.
- READY! for Kindergarten is a program for families with children aged 0-5 years. In our district and nationwide, 44% of children entering kindergarten test below proficiency for learning readiness. Data verifies that children who start behind typically stay behind. Results: After 9 years of the READY! for Kindergarten program, 90% of READY “graduates” continually enter school testing at or above Kindergarten readiness levels. This improvement will make an enormous impact on student performance over time.
- Instructional Coaches – Through a partnership with the Equinox Foundation, Instructional Coaches are on staff to deliver professional development to all teachers K-12. Results: Instructional Coaches are working with teachers to upgrade curriculum to meet tougher standards, and address key shifts in instruction methodology.
- Step-up to Writing – District leadership requested a new writing curriculum with the #1 goal to systematically improve the writing of all students in preparation for the competitive job market and college readiness.
- Second Step – Social/Emotional Wellness for All, this district-wide program includes hiring school psychologists plus a new curriculum for all elementary schools in the district. Focus is on developing skills that help all children recognize and overcome the challenges that modern life presents.
- Endowment – The Panhandle Alliance for Education and the public school system are making a difference for our community. We are creating great schools and opportunities for successful children education. Public education in north Idaho, Lake Pend Oreille School District has grown a $3.4 million endowment to sustain school support into the future. Our goal of 5 million in 5 years will produce cash flow for future. The Panhandle Alliance for Education and the public school system are making a difference for our community. We are creating great schools and opportunities for successful children education. Public education in north Idaho, Lake Pend Oreille School District leaders to help meet educational needs in perpetuity. Funds are invested in the Inland Northwest Community Foundation and the Idaho Community Foundation.
- Community Partners – The Panhandle Alliance for Education and the public school system are making a difference for our community. We are creating great schools and opportunities for successful children education. Public education in north Idaho, Lake Pend Oreille School District recognizes success in our public schools depends on the support of the entire community. Over 30 community partners participate through financial or in-kind donations.
The real payoff is here at home where student success reverberates throughout our community, into our businesses, neighborhoods and homes. investment they will ever make.
Panhandle Alliance for Education and Lake Pend Oreille School District have formed an essential partnership.
Together we are making a difference for our community. We are creating great schools and opportunities for successful children education.Follow us on your favorite channel